Re: RFS: modello/1.1-3 and modello1.4/1.4.1-2 - [UPLOADED] + a question

Hi Emmanuel,

On 01/14/2014 12:43 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> This is probably a maven-ant-helper bug, because the pom.xml for modello
> specifies UTF-8 as the source encoding and the parameter isn't passed to
> the javadoc generator.

I was thinking that the issue is that we have packages that can't be
built with a UTF-8 locale installed, but their build-deps/tools don't
pull in a locale, nor do they set it.

I haven't looked into this yet, but are you saying that the javadoc
generator doesn't even need the locale to be installed?  (I had assumed
that the locale needs to be there.)  If that's the case, then maybe we
treat this like a bug and look into making sure that
source/file.encoding properties are propagated.

> Assuming we no longer care about bootstrapping Maven properly (that is,
> all its transitive dependencies should be built with something that
> doesn't depend on Maven. I'm pretty sure that is already no longer true)
> we could gradually replace maven-ant-helper with maven-debian-helper as
> the build helper for these packages.

I'm all for anything that can simplify the packaging experience and
maintenance of the Debian Java tools, but I'm not sure how this is
directly related to the locales issue.  Is there a connection, or is the
suggestion to help us reduce the number of distinct tools?

[snip list of packages]

Thanks for the discussion,
tony