Re: Java plugin advocacy

cbbrowne@acm.org wrote:

> > * Rick Lutowski
> >
> > | (I have heard NS 4.x is 'dead', but it comprises about
> > | 20% of the browser market, and they keep releaseing new
> > | versions -- doesn't sound so dead to me!  But it remains
> > | stuck at 1.1 also.  Go figure).
> >
> > I have no idea where your numbers are from, but my numbers (which
> > consist of about four million hits per month on a hardware related
> > news site) shows that Netscape is much smaller, something like 3-4%,
> > Mozilla is about the same size.  MSIE has ~80%, Opera har ~6-7% and
> > other browsers like lynx, konqueror and «other» has the rest.
>
> Statistics for March for a site I have something to do with look like the
> following.  The dominance of MSIE seems surprising in light of the fact that
> you'd probably expect the site to get a whole lot of Linux traffic.  (The
> Konqueror figures are interesting :-).)
>
> Listing the top 20 browsers by the number of requests for pages, sorted by the
> number of requests for pages.

Did a quick total on your stats and come up with the following
percentages:

IE    60%
NS    16 (incl compat)
Moz    7
Opera  4
Konq   3
other 10

I had read that IE had 80% and figured NS must be most of the remainder
because I have never seen anyone use anything else (myself included,
except for experimenting with Hot Java).  Had no idea Moz and Opera had
gained 10+% between them.  Very encouraging.  Microsoft's grip may be
starting to loosen a bit or, more precisely, folks are starting to
choose
to slide out from under it.

Understand Moz leaves it up the the user to plug in whatever JRE they
want.  Anyone know what JRE opera ships with (if any)?

Am firmly convinced that if IE-competitive browsers would ship with
1.4 (or whatever the latest JRE happens to be) web developers would
start using its advanced capabilities like 3d, media, etc (hopefully
in an intelligent, not a gratuitous, manner).  More users would then
have
reason to slide out from under IE to view these highly compelling pages.
OS distributions like debian could help immensely by including browsers
pre-loaded with 1.4, so the user need not install anything beyond the OS
itself.

The problem, as usual, seems to be the lawyers.  Sun's legal tail
appears
to be wagging the corporate dog while at the same time shooting it in
all
four feet by blocking the widest possible distribution of Java with
legal
boilerplate.  It's hard to understand why Mr. McNealy would let the
lawyers
impede the future of his company like that.

I hope someone with influence at Sun subscribes to this group.

Rick
--
                  Rick
                  Lutowski