Re: Java plugin advocacy

Damian Morris wrote:

> Browsers have been stuck at 1.1.4 for years because MS is legally
> constrained by Sun from implementing any Java spec past 1.1.4.
> Unfortunately, this of course suits MS to a T - they'd have had to have
> tried much harder to justify something with the scope of .NET if a
> modern J2SE-compliant JVM was installed on every Windows PC.

The lawsuit was in the Java 1.3 timeframe.  Browsers
were stuck at 1.1 years before that.  Also, the lawsuit
did not affect Netscape 4.x, which also is stuck at 1.1
(I have heard NS 4.x is 'dead', but it comprises about
20% of the browser market, and they keep releaseing new
versions -- doesn't sound so dead to me!  But it remains
stuck at 1.1 also.  Go figure).

So the reason cannot be the lawsuit, which is at best a
convenient excuse for M$ at this point (but not for NS).
Also, Sun _wants_ IE to incorporate the latest Java, as
their new lawsuit against M$ clearly indicates.

debian ships with NS 4,x in contrib.  How difficult would
it be be for the woody Netscape package to ship with
1.4 Java Plug-in pre-installed?

Change has to start somewhere.  IMO debian Linux should be a
leader not a follower, so why can't we lead the industry in
switching browsers to 1.4?

Rick
--
                  Rick