Re: Success with IBM JDK 1.3.0 for PPC _WITH_ JIT

Franck Routier wrote:

> So what ? Are you all telling me you are going to develop a Moz plugin
> for IBM JDK, or that your are going to implement a jit for Blackdown, or
> what ????

How about a Java3D-based applet that seamlessly extends IE
and Netscape to handle 3D pages as well as 2D pages?

The 3D applet itself works well.  The problem is the 'seamless'
part -- because browsers are stuck at Java 1.1, users have to
install Java Plug-In to get Java3D-based programs (or xml, or
1.2-style security, or ...) to work.  If browsers came with the
latest version of Java pre-loaded instead of 1.1, the capability
available on the web would soar dramatically in a short time.

Why have browsers been stuck at 1.1 for years?  Just a wild
guess, but might it have something to do with MS stopping Java
support with 1.1, and also controlling 80% of the browser market?

IMO, Java's real forte is client-side.  It's relegation to server
side is a default result of being stymied on the client side by
MS's monopolistic control of the client.  The same would happen
server-side if MS controlled the server market.  Don't complain
about Java on the client or on the web.  Complain about _Microsoft_
on the client and on the web.  Therein lies the problem.

BTW, it's really great to hear there is now a recent version of
Java for PPC, even if it's only server-side capable.  Every
additional bit of Java support helps in the fight against MS.

Rick
--
                  Rick
                  Lutowski