Re: Changing the default simlink to sh [was: Password file with over 3000 users.]

Thomas Goirand wrote:
The 2nd most popular arch after i386 and amd64 is arm, just because
people use it on small end routers like with OpenWRT. For that kind of
hardware, memory & speed DOES count, and there's quite a lot out there.
I don't know where to find the numbers, I didn't search for them (they
must be quite easy to find), but it should be quite enough to take care of.

So the third most popular arch sets the standard?

That's by itself, the tail wagging the dog.

And the example of OpenWRT is a bad one, since that's a distro in and of itself -- and it isn't someone loading an ARM machine with Debian.

They load it with an image from the developers who already knew how to change the shell and strip down Debian already for them. (They do a lot more than change the shell!)

Only a handful of people (the OpenWRT team) benefit from a shell change to dash, in your example.

Again, I ask -- what's the driving need?

Taking care of the poorest writer is not the best way to go either. And

But it causes the least harm to the largest group of people.

if I'm not mistaking, Ubuntu did the switch to dash already, didn't
they? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

No idea. I don't run it, right now anyway... someone will probably let us know.

Nate