Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:56:02AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:37:41AM +0200, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> > You want to block spam or viruses, this is OK but you are on the
> > wrong way.
>
> no, it's absolutely the right way.  a large percentage of spam and
> almost all viruses come direct from dynamic IP addresses.  block
> mail from them and you instantly block most of the problem.

And you block a lot of legitimate email too.

In my server, my policy is to reject mail from hosts which are blocking
me. This way, the sender recives a bounce with a 550 explaining that
their ISP is blocking legitimate email from us. A lot of customers are
not even aware of the fact that their ISP is blocking legitimate email
at their backs. I have been able to white list my server in a number
servers without moving a finger, just angry users calling customer
service.

Blu.