Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:04:03PM -0400, Blu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:56:02AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:37:41AM +0200, Niccolo Rigacci wrote:
> > > You want to block spam or viruses, this is OK but you are on the
> > > wrong way.
> >
> > no, it's absolutely the right way.  a large percentage of spam and
> > almost all viruses come direct from dynamic IP addresses.  block
> > mail from them and you instantly block most of the problem.
>
> And you block a lot of legitimate email too.

actually, almost none.

the number of geeks who want to run their own mail server from a dynamic IP
address is vanishingly small.  the number of false positives from blocking
dynamic IPs is not just lost in the noise of all the spam and viruses coming
from dynamics, it is completely indistinguishable from noise.  far less than 1
in a million messages.

a very small price to pay to block an enormous quantity of spam and viruses,
especially when those legitimate mailers who are affected can, if they could be
bothered, work around it quite easily and cheaply.

> In my server, my policy is to reject mail from hosts which are blocking
> me.

good for you.  your server, your rules.  sounds like a stupid thing to do, but
you are entirely within your rights to do so.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"