Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:59:54PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:13, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> > reject other dyn/dialups - they should use their own ISP or mail server.
>
> I second this.
>
> A user has no business making direct connections to mail servers.

I disagree.

You want to block spam or viruses, this is OK but you are on the
wrong way.

You say that because unwanted mail comes often from a dynamic
address, you will block all dinamic addresses. What do you tink
if I block all the mail originated from a Windows machine, simply
because many Windows machine are infected and send viruses/spam?

I work for a firm and we ave about 150 Debian servers installed
to customers sites, they are connected with adsl. The IP ranges
are owned by the largest Italian provider and they are listed as
dynamic ones, despite the fact that they are assigned in a static
way. Our customers run their own mail server with SMTP, POP3,
IMAP, and webmail.

You have to explain to me why you are blocking their mails.

You also have to explain to me why do you want to force them to
use a smart host for their outgoing mails.

They have purchased bare adsl connectivity, why do you want force
them to purchase also smtp service from an ISP?

You are following an unexistant cause-effect link and you are
wasting your time. For a virus writer it is a metter of an hour
to change his code to post to the isp's smtp server instead of
posting directly. Now you have an huge infrastructure (dynaddr
lists) perfectly useless that do big harm to the network.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy

War against Iraq? Not in my name!