Re: failure notice (about relays.osirusoft.com)

> he claims that it's OK for chinese sysadmins to ignore spam complaints
> because they don't know english and don't understand the complaint.  he
> does read english and can act as an interpreter for them.  if he really
> cared about resolving the issue, he'd do something productive about it
> rather than just whinge to people who have nothing to do with the
> listing.

Never did I say "it is okay for chinese sysadmins to ignore spam
complaints". Please find where I said that. Can't find it? Yeah... because
I didn't say it.

What I gave is an explanation why it takes longer for chinese admins to
take action. They got to find an english-language admin to go and process
the reports. And with so many USA/Western spammers taking advantage of the
language barrier, the english-language admin(s) have a hard time keeping
up with it all.

> he
> does read english and can act as an interpreter for them.

I'm suppose to go around all the Asian ISPs are interpret their spam
complaints? Riiight. As soon as you give reasonable resolutions, comments
like this only make you sound foolish, not to just me but others. Come up
with DOABLE solutions, please.

> rather than just whinge to people who have nothing to do with the
> listing.

An RBL is only as useful and effective as the people using it. If no one
uses it, it isn't effective, is it? An who better to talk to than the
Sysadmins and others on Debian-ISP and others? Presumably most of us here
have some control over the servers we administrate and the policies and
RBLs we use.

> > IF This guy is indeed internally blocking, for personal reasons, a
> > list that is community supported (in the sense that the community
> > trusts it), then Lim's accusation is valid and serius i think.
>
> Lim's accusation is not valid.
>
> while it's only a single data point, i know from my own users that
> osirusoft does not block all mail servers in asia.  i work for an ISP in
> Victoria, Australia where we have a large Asian immigrant population.  a
> large percentage of our user base is Asian, and they regularly
> correspond with family and conduct business via email to and from
> various countries in Asia.  they rarely complain about blocked mail, i
> get many times more complaints from users about telstra's bigpond or
> ozemail's mail servers being blocked than i get about asian mail servers
> being blocked.

Did I say "ALL OF ASIA" anywhere? I said a large CHUNK of HK.

And I said he was liberal in blocking Asia as opposed to blocking the USA.

Again... as Mr. Sochacki said, you don't read what others say. You twist
what others say for your own purposes.

> > I mean, there should be no "hidden" records of a list like this one,
> > they should all be open. Otherwise its like a trojan horse to put ppl
> > out of business.
>
> there are no "hidden" records.  you've been sucked in by Lim's emotive
> language.
>
> think about it.  how can an RBL possibly have hidden records?  every
> record in an RBL is published via DNS, otherwise it doesn't work.

Easy. If an RBL (for example, ORDB.org) says it only blocks open relays,
then it secretly goes and blocks all of an ISP... then THAT is a hidden
record.

Same goes for Osirusoft... if it says it is a "combined" list of other
RBLs... then it secretly runs it's own private blacklist in the background
without listing it out, then that is not good.

It almost seems as if you prefer Microsoft's methods of
security/protection, rather than Linux's "open source" and "transparency"
method.

> > Someone actually suggested blocking all of Asia to which every single
> > member objected. Cant do that, ONE lost mail directed to us by a lost
> > mexican newbie living in Hong Kong is reason enough to not block this
> > way.
>
> outside of jason lim's paranoid fantasies, nobody is actually blocking
> all of asia.

Again, where did I say "ALL" of Asia?

Oh... and there ARE quite a number of RBLs blocking nearly ALL of Asia.
xslerward, BLARS... and all those new lists that block based on
Country/region. But I never said Osirusoft/Joe Jared is blocking all of
Asia... just large chunks of it, as in this case.

> > So actually, being told that an important, widely accepted tool as
> > osiru is being secretly controled and changed by one guy is not a hapy
> > thought. I will object to its use if the guys at the LUG propose it as
> > an option to our spam problem.
>
> i suggest you read the information on the relays.osirusoft.com web site
> before coming to any conclusion.  it's far more accurate and reliable
> than the rantings of one delusional paranoid.

Yes, please tell us ALL the part on the website where it says there is a
private blacklist being run by Joe Jared on the relays.osirsuft.com RBL.
Find it.