Re: Virtual Domains Email: How do you do it?

Haim Dimermanas writes:
 > Felipe Alvarez Harnecker wrote:
 >
 > > Then, keep it simple.
 >
 >  I agree. The simpliest way is to have the user's email address be their
 > username.
 >
 > > # adduser someuniqueid
 >
 >  Using Cyrus, why would I need to "add" a physical user to the system? Is
 > there something I am missing here?

You need some sort of authentication, the simplest is /etc/passwd

 > > cyradm> cm user.someuniqueid
 > >
 > > map john@doe.com -> someuniqueid
 >
 >  That's not as simple as it seems. Unique IDs have to be unique (therefore a
 > mechanism that allows you to check the uniqueness of the ID). Note that one
 > would have to come up with such a mechanism for email addresses as well but
 > since it's already present.

It's very very simple, trust me.

 >  The problem is the following: Users want to login using their email
 > address. Not unique ID a la compuserve, not john~example-com and other
 > barbarian means. Just their email address and a password. I don't like any
 > more than you do but that's what I have to come up with.

Here you are right, if you want your users to login using the email
address you'd better go with LDAP or *sql . The real problem is
authentication, the rest is sht.

Cheers.

Felipe Alvarez Harnecker.  QlSoftware.

Tels. 665.99.41 - 09.874.60.17