Re: rx2660 + debian

Hi!

On 4/26/22 04:43, Pedro Miguel Justo wrote:
> So, I finished compiling my kernel with CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY disabled. Guess what:
>
> pmsjt@debian:~$ uname -a
> Linux debian 5.17.3-rt17 #2 SMP Mon Apr 25 16:55:00 PDT 2022 ia64 GNU/Linux
>
> Yup, the system starts just fine with the most recent kernel. So, two things we can infer from this:
> - Yes, usercopy validation appears to be broken. The contours of how broken it is are yet unknown
    but we’ll have to investigate to see what part of the validation is failing.
> - hardened_usercopy=off seems to be ignored by current kernels. When passing this option the system
    was still failing just the same.

We can certainly send a pull request to the Debian kernel packaging repository to disable
CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY although I'm not sure what ramifications that would have.

But since the feature is broken on Itanium anyway, I guess it won't hurt.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer