Re: rx2660 + debian

On 09.04.22 20:53, Frank Scheiner wrote:
On 09.04.22 20:43, Anton Borisov wrote:
None of the kernels from 5.x tree worked for me. Everytime I hit that
memcpy BUG. I've booted off from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2019-07-16/
<https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2019-07-16/> - it
was perfect in terms of initial boot and launching the install shell.
But then it stuck at "detect and mount CD" (step 3 of launcher).

IIRC the kernel on the installer ISOs is a generic one. Maybe that makes
a difference.

Just installed the generic one (`-itanium` instead of `-mckinley`) and
did sum benchmarking and didn't notice any issues. So the kernel type
seems to make no difference - at least not for my rx2620.

****

On 09.04.22 21:52, Anton Borisov wrote:
> It is 9040 (from installer's shell):
>
> arch       : IA-64
> family     : 32
> model      : 0
> model name : Dual-Core Intel(R) Itanium(R) Processor 9040
> revision   : 7
> archrev    : 0
> features   : branchlong, 16-byte atomic ops
> cpu number : 0
> cpu regs   : 4
> cpu MHz    : 1594.666
> itc MHz    : 399.164976
> BogoMIPS   : 3182.59
> siblings   : 4
> physical id: 0
> core id    : 0
> thread id  : 0

Ok, so a Montecito, too.

>     UPDATE: Just noticed, you seem to use an old snapshot. Maybe
better use
>     a current one.
>

> Frank, I tried almost every snapshop from 2021. The only usable one is
> from debian 10th branch (that's 2019-07-16 :).
>
> The fresh one, i.e. current, dated as 2022-03-28, generates BUG and
> kernel stack error.

Ok, I understand now, thanks for clarification. Strange situation. I'll
have a look at my rx2660s as soon as time and temperature allows.

If installing from the 2019-07-16 snapshot doesn't work through, you
could try to netboot your rx2660 from the netboot installer (current
version on [1], contains a tarball with the files for netbooting the
installer), but I couldn't find a version from the snapshot date above
on snapshot.debian.org. So no luck with that. :-/

[1]:
http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-ia64/main/d/debian-installer/debian-installer-images_20210731_ia64.tar.gz

Cheers,
Frank