Re: Monitor system (was: Re: Announce of the upcoming NMU for the dtc package

Thanks for your reply, Nicolas. :)

On 10/07/2008, at 8:48 AM, Nicolas François wrote:

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 11:22:38PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

On 06/07/2008, at 10:01 PM, Nicolas François wrote:

There are similar statistics on:
http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/unstable/year/

This is interesting: I haven't seen it before. Nicolas, where do the
po4a stats come from? The Manuals branch? It would be handy to be able
to track down missing translations. We can do that for debconf, but I
don't know how to do it for po4a.

This uses some heuristics to guess that some PO files are PO files
generated by po4a (e.g. it is included in a po4a directory)
(So it's not necessarily manpages, it could also be some other kind of
documentation)

Yes, I see what you mean. I thought the Manuals directory might be a good source for po4a, but currently, only the Release Notes, Reference Card and Developers' Reference are using po4a. The Debian FAQ is working towards it. I'd really like to see more of the docs using po4a, because that would attract more translations, and make it easier to update the translations we do have.

For statistics, the main pages I use are:
* http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/unstable/year/main.html
  (it shows the trend and ranking for po-debconf strings)

Fascinating: there are small, simultaneous jumps up and down in the graphs, maybe the former from larger files in po-debconf updates, but I'm at a loss to explain the simultaneous sharp losses. The Portuguese (pt) team should be commended for having the steepest positive gradient. Should we be worried because the overall total continues to decline?

It really is enlightening and encouraging to have these graphs. I can see from the Vietnamese one that my efforts are gradually reducing the number of untranslated/fuzzy strings, so I'm actually getting somewhere. It's hard to tell that from day-to-day work, with such a disparate and fragmented corpus. Thankyou. :)

* http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/unstableBTS/year/main.html
  (Only useful for teams with status data from a robot)

Also handy. I didn't think my team was using a robot, except that we use the BTS to submit translations.

I've just added trend graphics for d-i strings:
http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/d_i-rrd/month/cvs_d-i/
And the web site:
http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/web-rrd/month/

I do like those green bars. :)

Thankyou very much for providing these very helpful stats, especially in visual form.

I use to have the trend for the number of translated manpages. The rrd are
there: http://i18n.debian.net/debian-l10n-stats/unstable/man/
(but I can't remember where the graphs are generated ;)

We need something like the "Forgot your password?" link on webpages: "Forgot where this connects up?" :D

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n