Re: Request for translation: new webpages for etch-and-a-half release

On 10/07/2008, at 2:22 AM, Frans Pop wrote:

Hi,

Dann Frazier and I have created two new web pages with Release Notes and
installation information for the upcoming "etch-and-a-half" release,
(which will be released together with the next stable point release).

It would be great to have translations of these pages already in place at the time of the release. As long as the release has not yet happened, the
content of the pages will not actually be displayed on the website.

The pages have been reviewed, but some final updates are still possible
before the actual release, so please be alert for changes.

New/updated pages are:
- releases/etch/etchnhalf.wml (new)
- releases/etch/debian-installer/etchnhalf.wml (new)
- releases/etch/debian-installer/index.wml (added link + other changes)

Not yet updated, but may get a new link to pages above:
- releases/etch/index.wml

Sorry, but I haven't translated Debian webpages before. Are there guidelines? Or do we just grab the HTML source, translate and email the result?

It would really help if we had webpages available in PO format. The po4a package converts to and from SGML and XML, and the Translate Toolkit handles HTML. (List of conversion filters: [1].)

I've given low priority to translating webpages, because they are so difficult to monitor and update, since they are not in a translation format. I have found that webpages I've translated in the past have become out-of-date without me realizing, and it's too difficult to try and keep track of them. So I'd strongly suggest using a PO or XLIFF converter, because that will get you a lot more translations, and more up-to-date translations.

Perhaps a coordinated approach to documentation translation, including webpages, could include providing them in a translation format?

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/nonpo