Re: setting goals for a team, or how to prioritize translations

Hello,
On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:57:48AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Helge Kreutzmann (debian@helgefjell.de):
>
> > Maybe a "Release-wish" in Lenny+1, which could be upgraded to a
> > release goal in Lenny+2? (More seriously, probably a "man pages should
> > use an automated means to manage their translations, preferably using
> > po4a" or similar for policy)
>
> That's realistic only for Debian native packages. I don't think we can
> enforce that on every upstream. And, anyway, it has always been my
> feeling that upstream translation is not part of Debian l10n work.

Right, if upstream provides/maintains (!) man page translations, I see
no problem with that (note that my quick draft for the text carefully
avoids to fix a means). However, there are large upstream projects[1]
which have no idea about man pages lest their translation, and in
Debian every programm is supposed to have a man page.

Greetings

           Helge

[1] E.g. GNOME