setting goals for a team, or how to prioritize translations

Hello,

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:09:46PM +0100, Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
Goals could be different than 100%. I think that 100% it's only a long term goal, it's not enough.
I think the debconf templates would benefit from a similar division by levels as done now in d-i. Or do we already have this?

As stated by Christian, the templates are sorted by popcon score.

Level 0: essential packages (packages that exist on any Debian system)
Level 1: standard packages (and the most common alternatives by popcon
	 stats, eg. postfix)
Level 2: packages that end up on CD1 (GNOME, KDE or Xfce)
Level 3: ...

OTOH, I was thinking (strictly for the debian-l10n-romanian team) to have some kind of repo that would contain all the initiated translations for a language. The team coordinator would be responsible to add new files to the repo according to criteria that is relevant for that team's goals[1]. All what the translators would have to worry about would be to keep all the translations in the team repo at 100% and the goal is already set.

Using the material on http://i18n.debian.net/material/po/unstable, the repo would also be updated regularly to merge the latest templates, thus helping us focus on keeping our current translations complete while allowing us to expand as we grow.

I am still in doubt about how the material there would conflict with translations were we have direct access to the package repo (e.g. debian installer, dpkg, tasksel) and it would be really nice if that material would actually be *unstable*or*VCS*version.

Christian, is this doable or is it already implemented like this? How often is the material updated?

I am still baking this idea, but thinking about our past experience during the etch release notes marathon, and how I worked with some people using such a system[2] and how productive it proved to be[3], it makes me think that we would definitely have success.

[1] e.g.: we want all required packages to have translations, or all packages that end up installed in a default desktop GNOME install need to be translated).
[2] on a much lower scale
[3] we managed to translate the release notes to be in time for 4.0r0
--
Regards,
EddyP