Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 4/5/06, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) <cobaco@linux.be> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:09, JC Helary wrote:
> > How many non-maintainers are actually official developers ?
> > I think that is the question.

Frans Pop has became a DD without having any package in Debian, but he
had several contribuitions to D-I. I personally don't know others.

> Checking the NM pages now I find that:
> - the new maintainer corner ([1]) specifically mentions translations as
>   acceptible earlier contribution.
> - the Tasks and Skills section on [2], is missing a description of what's
>   necessary for translators. Same at [3]

Also, there are other skills which should be there, IMHO. Programming
skills for new or existing tools, like Enrico Zini is doing for
debtags, people working on dpkg and apt...

Although all mentioned project provide packages at some point in the
Debian archive, their focus is not packaging, but programming and the
tool itslef.

As a side note, I have asked for a debian aimed project to be created
on alioth and was refused with the reason that I wasn't a DD, nor
maintainer of any existing package in the archive. I find this very
disturbing and I was forced to move to sourceforge, although I would
have preffered alioth.

--
Regards,
EddyP