Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:09, JC Helary wrote:
> > Proposed path from here:
> > 1) work on improving the wording and documentation of the NM
> > process so as
> >    to make it even more clearer that non-maintainers can become
> > DD's and
> >    what the T&S requirements are for the different contributor
> > categories
>
> Remove all references to "developer" and replace with "member" as per:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint#Member
>
> Rename the document to "Debian New Contributors' Corner"
>
> Rewrite the document so that it mentions maintainers as _one_ form of
> contribution to the DP
>
> Include all the existing forms of contributions on an par level with
> package maintainers
>
> In Step 1:
> Modify "The Applicant needs to have read the developer documentation"
> to anything applicable to other positions
>
> In Step 4:
> Add skills relevant  to the contribution forms identified above.

I'll have a stab at writing something better tonight

> > 3) Try to get some concensus on what kind of priviliges the different
> >    contributor categories need, and reflect that concensus in
> > different
> >    granted privilliges based on the NM-track used (and add the
> >    possibility to get additional priviliges by passing just the T&S
> > part of
> >    other tracks).
>
> I am not sure "privileges" are necessary. I don't think upload rights
> are a privilege but rather a necessity.

Gcide gives the following definition for privilege:
 1. A peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor; a right or
    immunity not enjoyed by others or by all; special
    enjoyment of a good, or exemption from an evil or burden;
    a prerogative; advantage; franchise.
    [1913 Webster]

following that I'd definately say that the various things granted by DD-ship
(such as uploading rights, or voting rights, or access to Debian
machines, ...) are privileges.

Also (as noted on the NM corner) upload privileges are _not_ necessary for
maintaining packages, as that can be done through a sponsor. A possibility
that plenty of people actively use.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)