Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:44, JC Helary wrote:
> On 2006/04/05, at 18:15, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> And they won't apply, specifically because in the same document it is
>
> written:
> > Some ways of contributing (translating, writing documentation and
> > reporting bugs) can be done by everyone and don't require developer
> > status.
>
> (besides for the very condescending "can be done by everyone", as if
> maintaining a package required such very specific skills that "not
> everyone can acquire"...)

ok, it think it's fair to say that this definately is _not_ meant to be
condescending. Especially as a bit further down that same page it says

> To ease the process, it is important to already be familiar with Debian,
> so we require that prospective developers have already contributed – in
> the form of translations, documentation, sending patches or package
> maintenance.

explicitly naming translations as an accepted form of earlier contributions.

How about changing

> Many people wish to contribute to Debian, though not all know that you
> don't need to be an official developer to do so. Sponsors can integrate
> work of non-developers and do so on a frequent basis. Some ways of
> contributing (translating, writing documentation and reporting bugs) can
> be done by everyone and don't require developer status.

to:

Many people want to contribute to Debian, what a lot of people don't realise
is that you don't need to be an official developer to do so: Maintaining
packages can be (and is frequently) done by non-developers (through a DD
acting as sponsor), and most other ways of contributing don't require
developer status at all and can thus be done by everone who is willing.

--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)