Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:09, JC Helary wrote:
> >> How can someone who is not a package maintainer become a
> >> developer, if becoming a developer requires being a maintainer?
> >
> > The 'Maintainer' in NM is a misnomer, I understand it is possible
> > to go
> > through NM as a translator or documentation writer.
>
> How many non-maintainers are actually official developers ?
> I think that is the question.
>
> Considering the huge contribution from translation/documentation
> groups, if they are under-represented in the developer group it means
> there is a problem.

I don't know, I do know that even though I've been doing translations for
over 3 years I still haven't bothered with NM as I didn't need the upload
rights, and didn't care enough about the voting rights.

I strongly suspect the same goes for most non-maintainer translators,
especially since a lot of them don't seem to know that it's possible to
become a DD without being a maintainer.

Checking the NM pages now I find that:
- the new maintainer corner ([1]) specifically mentions translations as
  acceptible earlier contribution.
- the Tasks and Skills section on [2], is missing a description of what's
  necessary for translators. Same at [3]

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
[2] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-amchecklist
[3] http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step4