Re: Po-debconf templates

Christian Perrier wrote:
:::::: Martin did some work in the dl10n Alioth project and
:::::: I currently use dl10n to monitor po-debconf
:::::: translation work for fr dans post "[TAF]" calls
:::::: (Traduction A Faire==Work To Do).

:::: I've added to the wiki [1] a proposal tag called "NEW"
:::: that should cover this. I feel that would be better to
:::: have non-localized tags in order to have an easier
:::: task when we will try to expand these things into the
:::: unified translation framework (tm).

:: Sure. But you'll have hard time having us abandon our
:: funny TAF tag (it plays with words as in french slang,
:: "avoir du taf" means "have some work to do"). :-)

	Why not use "TAF" as an 'honorable mention'? :)

	French l10n team is one of the most active (together
with ca/es/nl). They already use it, we could use it too, it
is not hard to learn. :) I should say that we can add an
alternative option, use NEW or TAF, but there is no reason,
could be anything, and with the pseudo-urls explanation, it
is easy to use and understand (and keep our "hacker spirit of
fun").

:::: I really like the way the page looks at [2] and it
:::: offers a lot of info in such a condensed form.
:::: Is there a way to expand this kind of statistics to
:::: other languages, too? (Thinking about RO here :D )

:: We just need to find someone who can jump in in finally
:: hack the last little pieces for doing this.
:: The key things are in the dl10n software from the
:: debian-l10n project on Alioth.
:: dl10n, mostly written by Martin Quinson, based om Tim's
:: work for the dutch team, gathers info from mailing lists
:: and handles a status database with this info, then
:: produces "reports" for po-debconf and po translations.

	I exchange some e-mails with Tim, and probably I
will send some messages asking for help and tests on -i18n.
And probably I will also talk with Martin Quinson to ask
some ideas. :)

:: It does not generate HTML reports at this moment, but
:: could probably easily do it.

	My idea is get it integrated, as I mention in another
message, using differente backends and generating the XHTML,
probably using some clean and easy to maintain CSS styles.

	First idea was migrate it to PHP (using some code from
Tim) but I figured out that a great part of software is already
written in perl. So, "hands on", learn some perl, and working
on it, I believe in two (or three, because of Free
Software International Forum - FISL) weeks, we will have a
"stable" beta bot. :)

:: You can checkout debian-l10n material by anonymous CVS on
:: alioth (/cvsroot/debian-l10n).
:: Then you can run a script like the one I post at the end
:: of this mail and get the status for various languages. I
:: ran it for some time for the fr, nl and ca languages
:: (because I know these 3 teams use the tag system)

	That's a good "add-on". :-)

	Probably, when we get the bot working, we should
advice all teams to adopt QA and pseudo-urls system.

:: The output of this script is what I currently use to
:: monitor the status for French and warn my fellow
:: colleagues of new and changed templates.
:: It currently send its output by mail, allowing me to
:: work while being disconnected (most of my work is
:: done in my daily train/bus ride, as several people
:: know).

	News for me. But interesting... :-)

:::::: Merging this in Denis scripts which generate the
:::::: "official" status pages is still to be done.

:::: Please, think big, or should I say bigger.

:: Please find someone to do the final work..:-)

	Ahmm... trying to do it in small steps, but I
believe I can do a "boost" in next weeks. :o)

:::::: Indeed, it seems that we're still seeking a volunteer
:::::: to drive all this....:)

:::: this = ? (excuse my ignorance, please)

:: The project for setting up a more detailed translation
:: statistics and status framework.
:: There is indeed not a lot of things to do : just gather
:: together all the nice bricks which already exist most
:: of the time.

	Yes, probably when it gets ready, we should "merge"
it in debian.org and get some l10n pages talking about this
inside www structure, in other words, migrate from wiki. :)

:: Script to get po-debconf stats for various languages:
[...]

	Nice, I will check to add it to the l10nbot. :)

	King regards,

- --
// Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
// GUD-PR / DUG-PR || http://www.debian-pr.org