Re: Kurdish locale

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 12:03:43PM +0200, Erdal Ronahi wrote:
> >Indeed, there is a Kurdish locale in the alternative locales package
> >from Denis Barbier : belocs-locales-data.
> >
> Ok, I found the package and installed it. I was even able to use the
> Kurdish locale with it, so it seems it works fine with Ubuntu. Yeah!

I try to maintain /usr/share/doc/belocs-locales-data/README.Debian.gz
up-to-date, this file lists differences against upstream GNU libc
(and therefore mostly against the locales package) and give credits
to locale contributors.  In this case, the ku_TR locale indeed comes
from Mandriva.

> >This Kurdish locale should indeed be submitted to the locales package,
> >I guess. Erdal, would you care reviewing it? I may send it to you if
> >you want and compare it with the Mandrake one.
> >
> Yes, I would like to review it. I am not familiar to the terminology you
> use, though. What does it meant that Debian maintainers are "blocked"?
> What can I do to get the locale into Debian or other Debian-based
> distributions?

Ask them to ship belocs-locales-data ;)

> Is the package that Denis prepared useable? I am working on Ubuntu 5.10.
> Our group has just finished translating AbiWord into Kurdish, but I
> can't use it because there is no Kurdish locale.

There are 2 packages: belocs-locales-data contains locale definitions,
and depends on belocs-locales-bin which ships patched localedef and
locale-gen programs.
The belocs-locales-bin package depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), so it
can be installed on any recent Debian derivative distribution.  You can
also recompile it very easily, and install it with GNU libc >= 2.1.96.

There is a minor problem with Ubuntu language-packs though, because
locale-gen is patched by Ubuntu to accept a --keep-existing flag.
You will discover that this flag is useless with belocs-locales-bin,
but locale-gen chokes on it.  My next upload of belocs-locales-bin
will silently ignore this flag.

Denis