Re: Getting newest versions of packages

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 09.01.2015, 18:26 +0000 schrieb Dmitry Bogatov:
> Sounds nice. But HEAD is one commit from 4.19. Maybe package it?  I
> tried, and it depends on debian-3.85. I `cabal unpack debian` it, and
> there is debian/ in it. What should I do with it?

In Debian, we generally ignore debian/ directories in upstream sources,
and dpkg-source will actually remove them when unpacking. So we continue
to use our own packaging, as with every other package.

> But if cabal-debian-4.19 is really so nice, I would agree, that I was
> wrong and my commit should be reverted. `darcs rollback`, right?

Sorry, which commit are you referring to?

> And I have another question.  Let's imagine following session:
>
> pkg-haskell-checkout haskell-foo
> cd haskell-foo-1.0
> uscan --verbose
> cd ..
> tar xfv foo-2.0.tar.gz
> mv foo-2.0 haskell-foo-2.0
> cd haskell-foo-2.0
> mv ../haskell-foo-1.0/debian .
> debchange --newversion 2.0-1
> debuild -us -uc
>
> Question: Is it shorter way to follow upstream upgrade?

I work in the debian-only repositories only, without having upstream
checked out with it. Then I can review changes in new versions using
$ firefox "$(diff-upgrade.sh)"
then add the changelog entry with the latest version using
$ mass-upgrade.sh .
then I adjust debian/control and
$ darcs amend
the patch created by mass-upgrade.sh. When ready, I mark it for release
using
$ mass-release.sh .
and build it using
$ mass-build.sh haskell-exp ../../build-exp .

("." refers to the current directory. These tools can work on several
packages at once.)

But that is a slightly non-standard workflow and might not suit
everyone. It is very efficient for the usual maintenance, but slightly
less so when having to work with debian/patches.

In any case, your steps
> cd ..
> tar xfv foo-2.0.tar.gz
> mv foo-2.0 haskell-foo-2.0
> cd haskell-foo-2.0
> mv ../haskell-foo-1.0/debian .
can be replaced by "origtargz -u" from the  devscripts package.