Re: Recipe for debianizing Haskell packages?

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:27:50PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 09.07.2009, 09:47 +0200 schrieb Ketil Malde:
> > My own stuff, the bioinformatics library, dependent applications, and
> > the depended-on libraries, if necessary.
> >
> > I got criticised (in a review of a draft paper) for my program being
> > hard to install on Debian, so I thought .deb's would be the way to fix
> > that :-)
> >
> > If the software isn't wanted in Debian, I'd be happy to host my own
> > aptable repo.  We could also set up a common repo for Hackage stuff not
> > (yet) in Debian - sort of a pre-unstable staging ground.
>
> I’m not saying it’s not, I’m just saying we should give it a thought.
> There is already some bioinformatics software in Debian, so it should be
> ok – especially if it’s full applications, and not just “libraries that
> might be useful to some developers”.

I'm not sure what the current criteria for Debian packages is.  But it
seems to me that if its useful, even to a small number of people, someone
is willing to maintain it and its licence is acceptable, then it ought to
go in. Regardless of if it is a library or application. Regardless of if
the problem-space is already present in Debian or not.