Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

I especially like your well-reasoned, highly sophisticated argument about why a change should be made. Oh, it's "idiotic"! What were we all thinking? From now on we'll be sure to run all design choices by you first, and you can tell us whether they're idiotic.

If you don't like GNOME, don't use it. If, on the other hand, you would like to make productive, rational arguments about the relative merits of one approach over another approach, bugzilla.gnome.org is the place to do it, not the debian gnome list. But I should warn you that if your argument is simply that an interface is different from the Mac, from windows, from KDE, or from before, you aren't going to win very many people over to your side.

Nobody is arguing that the file chooser is perfect. But it is a beautiful dialog, and it is very usable and makes navigating files and folders quick and easy using the mouse. A number of enhancements to its functionality are planned in the future, including type-ahead find and enhanced path completion. But most of the people who work on Gnome are volunteers, and they have limited time and energy to devote to unpaid Gnome development. It is extremely frustrating for a totally uninformed person to start spouting on public mailing lists and slashdot about how much they hate such and such aspect of a piece of free software. Such rambling is more than unproductive; it actually causes severe injury to free software because few people enjoy being abused in this way. Always treat any posting to a public mailing list as though the developer you're criticizing were reading it; it's quite likely that this is indeed the case.

-Rob

Miles Bader wrote:

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

Or that the respective widget is not there by default?
This is deliberate design choice by upstream, based on their usability
experts. IMHO, Debian should not revert this.

Oh yeah, "usability experts."  Silly me, they _obviously_ know what I
want more than I do!

	Or that you cannot configure it easily via the
Desktop-Preferences?

This is another design choice by upstream. And a correct one I think.

An idiotic one actually.  But the "usability experts" said it was OK,
so who am I to argue?  Everyone knows that "one size fits all."

-Miles