Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:09:35PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 07:15:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Bastien, and who are you to decree what our users will use or not ?
> >
> > I have long since acknowledged that any real sanity and innovation is
> > coming from the GNOME people and *not* Debian. We just package up their
> > stuff and make sure the underlying kernel and GNU userland work. So I
> > believe your remarks here are quite off the limit.
>
> The new gnome way means that we are not supposed to use deep directory
> structures, and that we should not use tab completition.

Great, so now GNOME development roadmap includes development of Coke Diet?

Seriously, I really don't like the current direction GNOME is taking:

We started the 2.0 series with the approach of having excellent defaults that
are readily usable, which peaked with the superb 2.2 release. It had Sun's
usability people involved and it showed.

Then starting with 2.6, we suddenly have defaults that actually require you to
either overuse the mouse for everything or otherwise end up having to type WAY
too many CTRL-xx "short" cuts just to get the most basic things done, such as
getting a filename field in the file selector.  It has Novell people wanting to
divert market from Microsoft, by turning GNOME into a 50-50 os X + Windows mix,
which clearly leaves traditional UNIX users (GNOME's core market) in the dust.

Sorry, but that's a serious usability loss.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/