Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:05:47PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:

> > > g-v-m has a "Removable storage" place, I think it handles usb sticks
> > > (anybody to confirm ?)
> >
> > I can confirm, that as of june 26 or something such (during Linuxtag) where i
> > tested this in the gnome booth on my ibook, it didn't work (and apparently
> > there was some kernel OOPS when parts of g-v-m was started, i had no time to
> > really investigate this though). Probably was never tested on non-x86.
>
> Well, I told you to file a bug about the oops in HAL. Regarding the USB

Yeah, sorry but i had no time for it, and i thought that finalizing good
2.6 kernels and d-i support was more important, and i had a severe bug i
needed to hunt on the pegasos2 machines, which is thankfully fixed now.

> stick support, I also told you that it needs /etc/fstab support which
> has not been finalized. There is a script you can use in the hal package
> AFAIK, but it is not used by default. The hal and the
> gnome-volume-maintainer are aware of the sitution and I am quite
> confident that things are hashed out until Sarge releases.

Ok, cool.

> Anyway, this is not a good example to point at, as GNOME upstream has
> only recently started to care about this and Debian never cared about
> this until now.

Ok.

> Having USB sticks mounted automatically sounds like a task for the
> kernel maintainers to me (GNOME should just acknowledge it and react).

Why ? The kernel can do that just fine, thanks to hotplug and the underlying
infrastructure HAL or whatever also uses. It is not usefull without
gnome/nautilus showing an icon for it though.

> Nevertheless the GNOME/Freedesktop.org people finally did the work for
> us, so we should be grateful and not complain about the quality of the
> packages, IMHO.

Cool. I still don't like the spatial view per default, and the splattering of
windows it implies. but then, i will almost never use nautilus anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther