Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

> It's too hard. People don't want to understand the process of window
> management, they just want it to work.

But it's not a good reason to remove feature. You can let them (perhaps
in gconf without UI way to change it) ...

> You know the real solution to this behavioural problem? Fix gDesklets. Very
> simple. They shouldn't be in the window list to begin with, and it's very
> easy for the gDesklets code to say "i'm not the kind of window that should
> be seen in the window list".

Yes, it'll be great. But gdesklets devels seems to have no idea on how
to do that, and I've no idea too. With gtk+ you've some easy way to
remove windows from pager and windows list in the panel ... but how to
remove them from alt+tab list ?

gnome-panel for example uses xatoms to set a particular sort of windows,
but they seems to be static and no adapted to the gdesklets behaviour.

I've already some time on gnome's IRC, nobody seems to know how to do
that. But if you know it would be great ;-)

> You have to think deeper about usable ways to fix behavioural problems.
> Adding an option or a "feature" or a method of hacking around a problem is
> nine times out of ten *not* the right way to do it.

Yes perhaps you're right, it's an another way to see things ...

> There's been a quick-key to turn this on for a very long time. It's not in
> any of the menus because it's not something that would be used very often,
> and is pretty confusing.

I don't know there is a quick-key for that ...
But this feature is missing sometime when on want to let something on
top of your desktop (tv, video, irc, ...). I know than some apps like
totem have a "stay on top" option, but it would be faster to have a such
option in the wm than hacking all the app to add it.

> People who file bugs in Debian's bug tracker are, on the whole, highly
> technical and anal retentive in nature. That's cool, because I'm one of
> them. But you know... I much rather using a desktop that doesn't get in my
> way with all sorts of silly distractions from my real work.

Yes, perhaps you're right ... it's a different vision, but perhaps not
so bad ;-)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher