Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

Mark Howard <mh@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>   The Debian release manager announced recently that the time has come to
> prepare for a stable release. At present we have cvs snapshots of galeon
> in Sid. Most people agree this is not yet production quality;
> unfortnately there isn't enough time for this situation to change.

I strongly disagree here. My browsing needs may be below average, but
I use Galeon as my main browser (and only sometimes fire up something
else, mainly for testing browser compatibility of self-developed web
apps). I do not experience frequent crashes nor any other annoyances
that would make the package unsuitable for release with a Debian
stable.

What I agree to is that galeon as out of CVS is a regression against
1.2, feature-wise. See on below...

> Another option would be to include galeon 1.2 in Debian. This would mean
> maintaining a gtk1.2 version of mozilla; reinvestigating many (150+?)
> reports which were closed when galeon1.3 was moved into the Debian
> package; having a browser which has not been tested thoroughly with
> recently mozilla builds (everyone uses galeon1.3); and having a gnome
> browser which is very out of date and not consistent with the rest of
> the Desktop.
> I am not interested in maintaining a galeon-1.2 package and do not
> personally believe it should be done. If any other developers wish to do
> this (and, of course, mozilla-gtk1.2, mozilla-X-gtk1.2 packages), feel
> free. (would the ftpmasters allow two versions of mozilla?)

I also think that shipping 1.2 is probably not worth it given all the
trouble associated with it.

> My next upload of galeon will be to the experimental branch of Debian as
> per the requests of the release manager. I will then request the removal
> of galeon packages from sarge and sid. Unfortunately this will mean that
> all galeon builds will be manual until the buildd system is extended
> for experimental. I will only build i386 packages - hopefully developers
> with other platforms will build galeon on them.

Please don't do that. When nobody maintains 1.2 .debs, this means that
sarge will ship without any version of galeon, which is more of a
regression for users upgrading from woody to sarge (1.2.5 -> nothing)
than 1.2 -> 1.3. Users could switch to epiphany, but I'm sure not all
of them will be happy.

Of course, you're the maintainer of galeon, and most probably know
better, but I really wonder what issues make galeon 1.3
non-releasable-quality from your point of view (and the other "most
people").

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.