Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

> Dude, neither choice was political in nature.

I agree with Sven, after reading archives of gnome mailing-lists no
technical reason to choose epiphany .. just some devels that like it more.

> Despite some disagreement with specific choices that the Epiphany team have
> made, it is the right choice.

I don't think so. But it seems that for gnome people the few features an
app has, the better it is. You're choosing to kick all the options that
made the goodness of apps to have simple apps for beginners ... not
the good alternative in my mind.

Last time I've tested epiphany (one week ago) I've found the bookmarks
toolbars very poor compared to galeon one :
- no simple way to edit it .. you've to go in bookmark, search your
entry, etc ... In the galeon one, just right click on it.
- no way to add an icon
- no way to specify text entry wide

I've asked about that on #epiphany on the gnome's irc, the bookmarks
toolbar is not going to be changed, devels think that's is good enough
like that.

Many people don't like your choice, people who use GNU/Linux for some
times and used to have power apps with greats options. But perhaps your
goal is to do a big, simple, featureless system for people that used to
run windows ?

> Right now, I still use Galeon. But it's becoming very clear that Epiphany is
> (faster|better|stabler|etc), and that at some stage, I should shift.

But Epiphany is featureless ...

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher