Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

>> I don't think so. But it seems that for gnome people the few features an
>> app has, the better it is. You're choosing to kick all the options that
>> made the goodness of apps to have simple apps for beginners ... not
>> the good alternative in my mind.
>
> That's not a fair or even accurate analysis of our goals.

Yes, I know, I'm voluntary too critical ...

But the fact is, that gnome's peoples seems to don't like features.

An example: possibility to remove a window from alt+tab list from
metacity

Do you know gdesklets ? Try to open an editor and a console and to
switch between both apps with alt+tab and 5 desklets on your desktop
... no may to use alt+tab with all these un-uselees windows on the list.

Last time I've asked about that, havoc said that metacity doesn't need
such a feature.

I've the impression that most feature request are rejected. How many
time the "stay on top" option was away from metacity ?

> Everyone has their favourite little featurelets. Some will arrive, some
> won't. Get in there and make a pitch about why they have a positive impact
> on the behaviour of the browser. Don't say "oh oh, you killed my feature!"
> because that doesn't really matter in the big picture.

But why killing features ? Just let the users have the choice to use
them or not ... removing features is removing user choice!

> Again, this is an unfair and innaccurate analysis. Remember, you are smart
> enough to choose your own browser, and if that's the case, you're not really
> in any of the highest priority target user categories.

Yes, I've the choice and I'm using galeon. But I like gnome and sometime
wonder if the good choices are made for all ...

And what is the "the highest priority target user categories" ? The
beginners who need simple apps, isn't it ?

> the developers involved in GNOME. It's merely a matter of world domination,
> and winning you over is less important than some other target groups. You
> are, in a sense, already won.

I don't like this idea of "world domination". I'd rather make good
stuffs, than populate stuffs.

Look on the system which has the world domination at this time .. it's
not GNU/Linux. World domination should not be the main goal.
Just devel a power system and let users choice ...

> And yet, it still manages to open web pages, save bookmarks, and all manner
> of useful things that you'd expect of a web browser. Does it need to provide
> icons down the left hand side of its preferences box to be a web browser?
> Does it need to have context menus on its toolbar to be a web browser? Hmmm,
> no it doesn't. :-)
>
> But wow! It sure does do this browsing stuff!

Yes, so no need to have so many browser if you just want to see a html
page. But some people like features. Look on galeon's Debian BTS to see
that user are missing many features from galeon 1.2 in galeon 1.3 for
the moment. Some people was against replacing 1.2 by 1.3 because of the
large feature missing on the new version ... and Epiphany is more
featureless than galeon1.3.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher