Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

<quote who="Sven Luther">

> But redhat is one of the big gnome developers, and gnome has included now
> epiphany and not galeon, which is, as you well know, a political statement
> and a choice in the lamentable galeon fork that happened last year.

Dude, neither choice was political in nature.

Read the release team's module summary for a pretty good analysis of why
both GNOME and Red Hat chose to make a commitment to - independently I might
add - Epiphany as their default browser. Galeon was never dumped: GNOME has
never shipped a browser, Red Hat has previously shipped Mozilla.

Despite some disagreement with specific choices that the Epiphany team have
made, it is the right choice. It has a stronger team, dedicated maintainers,
continuing maintenance and QA work, stated usability goals, and commitment
to the GNOME Desktop release schedule and goals. You described the fork as
"lamentable", however, I would certainly not describe the results of the
fork as such. Not by a long shot. We now have a maintainable browser, and a
strong developer team, with a LOT of momentum.

Right now, I still use Galeon. But it's becoming very clear that Epiphany is
(faster|better|stabler|etc), and that at some stage, I should shift.

Please don't spread gunk like this as if it is the truth.

- Jeff

    "From my observation, when it comes to porting Linux to a particular
           device, a point doesn't appear to be necessary." - mpt