Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:12:57PM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
> - Although less important, we should take note that gnome and red hat
>   have not included galeon.

But redhat is one of the big gnome developers, and gnome has included
now epiphany and not galeon, which is, as you well know, a political
statement and a choice in the lamentable galeon fork that happened last
year. I don't think it would be wise for debian to do the same, debian
being about choice, and not about forcing some decision on the user.

Furthermore, if people are not happy with the feature set of galeon 1.3
vs galeon 1.2, it will be way worse for them if they choose epiphany,
since it is the epiphany folk that have stripped galeon of all its
feature back then before the fork.

So please reconsider this. Sure i understand that aj has said cvs
snapshots are for experimental, but as i understand his plans, this is
mostly for cvs snapshot or potentially breaking stuff versions of
libraries and other stuff which is dependended on. Like the new glibc
should be first uploaded and fixed in experimental, so that all the packages
build in unstable does not get blocked by it, altough you just do a
rebuild.

Galeon has nothing (or almost nothing maybe) depending on it, so this
consideration does not apply.

Friendly,

Sven Luther