Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

Le mar 26/08/2003 à 14:20, Sebastien Bacher a écrit :
> But the fact is, that gnome's peoples seems to don't like features.
>
> An example: possibility to remove a window from alt+tab list from
> metacity
>
> Do you know gdesklets ? Try to open an editor and a console and to
> switch between both apps with alt+tab and 5 desklets on your desktop
> ... no may to use alt+tab with all these un-uselees windows on the list.
>
> Last time I've asked about that, havoc said that metacity doesn't need
> such a feature.

Of course, this has nothing to do in metacity's preferences. It is
gdesklets who should remove itself from the list of windows.

> But why killing features ? Just let the users have the choice to use
> them or not ... removing features is removing user choice!

The Gnome HIG are not about removing features, they are about clever
feature management. New features should not mean new configurations
options unless strictly necessary, as it clutters the interface. And
they should not mean a slower application (look at how galeon is slow).

We have exactly the same issue with debconf. Many maintainers want to
add several debconf questions or warnings to packages, without realizing
it makes the whole system painful to install.

Regards,