Re: nautilus is till slow

Ryan Verner <xfesty@computeraddictions.com.au> writes:

> On 27 Jan 2003 09:20:30 +0100 Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > But then I'm still pretty disappointed with nautilus' speed. We were
> > promised 2.2 was quickier, snappiest, but (without DRI at least) it
> > still feels slow.
>
> It's certainly faster for me, but I miss my old nautilus themes :-(
>
> I agree, it still could be faster, but I certainly wouldn't call it slow
> anymore.  I remember using it a year or so ago; it was god awful then.

Agreed; it is faster and more usable than previous versions but needs to
be faster. My machine is not slow, but it still takes some time to
display the contents of my home directory (and I have disabled
everything that can have a performance impact.)

What worries me is that the Nautilus developers seem to be adding more
and more features (new views, multi-rooted tree sidebar, etc.) instead
of focusing on performance. Nautilus still has a big memory footprint
(although it's better than in previous versions.)

If Nautilus were to keep the current feature set, but made faster and
less memory-hungry, it would be _the_ file manager.

But don't get me wrong, I am happy to use Nautilus as it is, and I am
very thankful to the Nautilus (and Gnome) developers. The stuff keeps
getting better and better.

Cheers,

Eloy.-