Re: nautilus is till slow

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 08:56, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> Ryan Verner <xfesty@computeraddictions.com.au> writes:
>
> > On 27 Jan 2003 09:20:30 +0100 Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > But then I'm still pretty disappointed with nautilus' speed. We were
> > > promised 2.2 was quickier, snappiest, but (without DRI at least) it
> > > still feels slow.
> >
> > It's certainly faster for me, but I miss my old nautilus themes :-(
> >
> > I agree, it still could be faster, but I certainly wouldn't call it slow
> > anymore.  I remember using it a year or so ago; it was god awful then.
>
> Agreed; it is faster and more usable than previous versions but needs to
> be faster. My machine is not slow, but it still takes some time to
> display the contents of my home directory (and I have disabled
> everything that can have a performance impact.)

This is perhaps off topic, but I will say it anyway.  There was talk on
debian-devel about using Con Kolivas patches for desktop debian.  I can
say that they work tremendously well with my gnome2 desktop.  I would
assume it is the preemptible and low latency patches that give the
biggest boost.  Go to:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

and check them out.  Your desktop experience will be MUCH better (and it
wasn't that bad to begin with IMO).

Yes I know this isn't a 'gnome fix' or 'gnome solution', but the patches
do help and work well.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com