Re: nautilus a virus ??

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 20:42, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 01:17, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> > If you are having problems with flickering display while scrolling, you
> > should definitely downgrade your closed-source nvidia drivers, or switch
> > to the "nv" driver that comes with XFree86.  The latest closed-source
> > drivers have broken 2D acceleration.
>
> Flickering was perhaps the wrong word. But let me explain a bit more.
>
> Several thousand mail in evolution is fast to scroll
> galeon/mozilla can open LARGE pages and scroll that without a problem
> Nautilus can keep up if I scroll slow but resort to an update rate like
> 2-3 per second when I scroll fast and I have a feeling only parts of the
> windows gets updated . This is something you notice.

Nautilus renders differently than Galeon/Gecko, and thus triggers the
nVidia bug where Galeon would not.  A number of other apps have this
issue with the 41xx nVidia drivers, which do not with the 3xxx driver
series.  Downgrading, it gets much better.  Using the older drivers,
Nautilus2.2 is *very* snappy, even on the much much older machine I'm
stuck with at work.  Here, at home, on a far faster machine, it's quite
slow, because I'm using the newer drivers, and I'm too lazy to
downgrade.  ;-)