Re: duplicate GNOME_SystemTrayApplet.*

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> > Did you read the BTS recently ? This bug is tagged pending, and no this
> > package don't need to provides system-tray-applet, currently no package
> > depends on system-tray-applet.

Just out of couriosity: What is a "pending" bug?

> > Well, what about "replaces", then? BTW: rhythmbox uses it and so does
> > workrave (which is unfortunately not yet in Debian)
>
> Replaces is only needed if a file is moved from a package to another.

As I understand, this is exactly what's the case here: The system-tray
applet is moved from its own packge into gnome-panel. I thought this
is exactly the kind of situation that "replaces:" is made for, not?

> > And meta-gnome 19 depends on it. Currently meta-gnome 20 is
> > uninstallable due to the abiword breakage. Therefore I cannot remove
> > system-tray-applet without removing gnome.
>
> Currently *no* package depends on system-tray-applet :

Oh, well, you may be right. Some programs, however, use the
"notification area", notably rhythmbox and workrave. Therefore I have
earlier installed the system-tray-applet panel.

It would simply have been a nice and clean approach to have the
now obsolete package removed automatically instead of having to do it
manually.

But since this is not really a big issue, we can simply stop the
discussion now.

Johannes

--
~/.signature under construction