Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

<quote who="Sven Luther">

> > > Well the problem with all this gnome 2 stuff is that they did the
> > > remove most prefs correctly, but often forgot the do it right by
> > > default part.
> >
> > Without specifics, I can't help you.
>
> Its just a general impression, but then mostly conveyed by galeon2

Note that Galeon 2 is far from release-quality in many ways, and does not
have a strong maintainer or team behind it.

> i think and the fact that the solution to all the configuration problems
> is go to gconf-editor and to this or that obscure thing, which is a poor
> excuse to not having correct dialogs.

If a particular preference is not appropriate for inclusion in the user
interface, but is felt to be useful to more technical users, it will remain
available in GConf. There is nothing wrong with that, assuming agreement
with the 'fresh vision' for GNOME usability.

If you want to have a TweakUI-like control panel for obscure/advanced prefs,
contribute to "CoG" (which needs a lot of love) or write your own. This is
the 'crackpipe' idea that has been joked about many times on the various
GNOME lists.

> Also, there is this ugly problem about the background and fonts that is
> not coherent between gdm and gnome. Try putting the same background in
> gnome and gdm, and you will see it revert to thestandard background
> during gnome2 startup.

Sure, if you think that's a bug, then it's a bug. It certainly doesn't help
us to be redrawing the background all the time (see problems between
Nautilus and gnome-session with regards to this).

> > Dunno, Galeon 2 is basically dead. A few people have been working on the
> > 'crackpipe' idea, but generally doing a pretty ugly job of it.
>
> :(((
>
> So the developpment team split up and died then ?

Not really (read the mailing list for yourself - don't trust the musings of
an observer completely), but there's not much happening, and no one has
taken strong leadership of the project.

- Jeff

--
  "Linux continues to have almost as much soul as James Brown." - Forrest
                                 Cook, LWN