Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 06:39:54PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sven Luther">

> > > That's exactly what defines the relationship between the preferences
> > > available in the immediate user interface and those in GConf.
> >
> > Well the problem with all this gnome 2 stuff is that they did the remove
> > most prefs correctly, but often forgot the do it right by default part.
>
> Without specifics, I can't help you.

Its just a general impression, but then mostly conveyed by galeon2 i
think and the fact that the solution to all the configuration problems
is go to gconf-editor and to this or that obscure thing, which is a poor
excuse to not having correct dialogs.

Also, there is this ugly problem about the background and fonts that is
not coherent between gdm and gnome. Try putting the same background in
gnome and gdm, and you will see it revert to thestandard background
during gnome2 startup.

> > Anyway, there was speak of an advanced configurator, or control panel, at
> > least for galeon 2, what about it ?
>
> Dunno, Galeon 2 is basically dead. A few people have been working on the
> 'crackpipe' idea, but generally doing a pretty ugly job of it.

:(((

So the developpment team split up and died then ?

And phoenix will be the official gnome 2 browser, and nobody really
cares.

Friendly,

Sven Luther