GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:22:46PM +0100, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > Turn off the gconf setting /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
> > (by using gconf-editor, for example).
>
> O lord this sound way to much like something on that other operating
> system.

I'll have to agree with you there. It's starting to annoy me how in an
effort to make userfriendly and GNOME HIG (Human Interface Guideline)
compliant, more and more of its advanced options are disappearing from
the preferences dialogs and can only be changed messing with
gconf. Galeon 2 (galeon-snapshot) is a prime example of this
nonsense. In my opinion, if GNOME keeps heading this way, it's going
to start alienating some of its more intermediate to advanced users.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau              Computer Science & Student Rep, UNSW *
*   # apt-get into it                 Debian GNU/Linux Package Maintainer *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *