Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 09:36, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:52:20PM -0400, Joe Drew écrivait:
> > I think that given the backlash that's likely to happen, your upcoming
> > GNOME 2.0.1 upload should continue to have the *2 packages, offering us
> > the ability to later roll it into unstable (when transitions are more
> > established) and then into testing (when transitions are rock-solid).
>
> No !
>
> Stop kidding ! Look at the user reactions we had on this list, most
> unstable users are happy with G2D. It's only Jeff Waugh who keeps

You're not the one receiving the e-mails and getting asked questions on
IRC. I made the decision to put the docs for debian on my website rather
than on gnome's because it was easier for me. So I get to answer
questions about why this and this doesn't work, why this option isn't
available anymore, and why their fonts look crap.

They're usually happy after we've solved the problems, yes, but it's
certainly not perfect.

> annoying us by announcing the end of the world once G2D is in unstable.

1) Jeff is an upstream
2) I agree with him (I'm an upstream too), and Joe (I think) after a
conversation between them that I followed.
3) Watch your language

> There's no way we're going to complicate our life with twice the
> packages in unstable (asking for a lot of work from the ftpmasters
> BTW).

And using testing-proposed-updates doesn't complicate our lifes, as well
as the ftp-master's ?

> I agree that announcing the plan on -devel-announce is a good idea so
> that users  who absolutely wants G1.4 can switch to sarge right now.
>
> > This is a small amount of work for us but if users really will go nuts
> > over it (depending on how good the transition is to begin with) I think
>
> They won't go nuts.

Maybe. I'm certainly not ready to actually test that in the current
situation.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net