Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 21:00, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> There's no need to maintain both 1.x and 2.x packages, either. You can
> orphan them as part of this strategy (noting that the desktop ones will not
> be required once the transition is over), or just not worry about them
> (there are only two really significant bugs in GNOME 1.4 - in libzvt and the
> panel).

I'm not sure what you're proposing here. I'm pretty sure that most
everybody hates the idea of *2 packages as a permanent solution, but
orphaning the normal packages implies that it will be. The *2 packages
were originally meant to be a step in the transition - they would be
removed and the new versions of the GNOME 2 packages rolled into the
non-*2 packages once they were ready.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

"This particular group of cats is mostly self-herding." -- Bdale Garbee