Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

<quote who="Joe Drew">

> I'm not sure what you're proposing here.

Okay, for Joe's benefit, I'll rehash my much earlier proposal for migration
to G2D in Debian:

  - reupload the 1.x versions of stuff like gnome-terminal and sawfish, to
    replace the 2.x versions currently in unstable.

  - upload 2.x versions of G2D components [1] into unstable with *2 package
    names

  - upload 2.x versions of non-G2D packages with 1.x counterparts into
    unstable with *2 package names

  - provide dependency package for testers of G2D in unstable

  - announce availability of G2D and related packages in unstable

  - test like buggery :-)

  - when attempts have been made at migration and integration, remove *2
    from all packages and allow them to fall into testing in one chunk

Thus resulting in testing period in unstable, and as smooth a migration as
possible for both testing and unstable at the end of that process.

- Jeff

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/modules/

--
   I must be getting old... Buying toothpaste with gel in it is no longer
                           an Absolute Necessity.