Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 11:13, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I will never advise anyone who wish to run a "regular destkop" to run sid.
> Period.

My apologies, that was meant to read testing. Which, like it or not, is
the distribution normal, non-server-administrating-users are typically
going to choose. Even woody is already dated enough to have problems
with certain hardware configurations.

> > It would be akin to putting Netscape 6 in sid/testing and calling in
>
> You can't compare a single package with a set of 400 packages.

For netscape 4, I count 5 packages. For mozilla, I count 4.
That's not including library dependancies. How many packages are
actually required to have a Gnome system (again, not including library
dependancies).

> > replacement for lack of certain features. (Or it least it was the case
> > near its earlier releases, much like Gnome 2 today). Not to mention the
>
> Give me a missing feature in Gnome 2 ?

- Status Dock is gone, and removed for lack of documentation, definately
not on purpose. Efforts are underway to replace it, but no one seems to
be talking timelines, so until there's more news here, it's effectively
gone.
- Per-sample volume & balance controls for gnome sounds. In Gnome 1.4,
there was a Sound Manager application (available through the
sound-monitor applet, which btw, is still missing from Gnome 2.0) which
allowed users to change not only the assignment of sounds to various
events, but their volume and balance settings.
- Compatability with Gnome 1.4 applets. (afaik... dependancies prevent
me from testing this). This means that while Gnome 1.4 applications can
continue to be used in Gnome 2.0 through gtk, the applets can not work.
- XScreensaver configuration
- finely grained control of keyboard repeat rate and delay
- Background images for launchers, drawers, and special items on panels
- Configuration of the auto-hide delay for hidden panels (except through
gconf-editor)

Those are the regressions I've personally noticed, off the top of my
head.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= atrus@rifetech.com =-