Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:26:13 +0200
Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> >> "KW" == Kai Weber <lists@glorybox.de> writes:
>
> > + Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr>:
> >> If nobody want to test GNOME 2...
>
> > I want to test it and help with bug reports. But no package which
> > brings me a Gnome2 desktop seems to be available for Sid. I use
> > unstable not experimental. Building Gnome2 with Garnome succeeded
> > but does not help Debian.
>
> > I would like to help as a Gnome user. But it is uninstallable for
> > sid.
>
> But we should provides migration script before moving GNOME 2 in
> unstable.

Here is something i really do not understand ! Why not having gnome2 and
gnom1.4 all together in unstable ? More and more people would be able to
look at debian problems.
I really do not understand why i have to get packages fom experimental
while those packages are not unusable, or not uninstallable. They are
working quite good (at least for me). Well, having gnome2 alongside
gnome1.4 would NOT break anything in unstable ! Am i wrong ?
The only missing features is transition packages from gnome1.4 to
gnome2, gnome2 just doesn't care about gnome1.4 configs file. So, it
will not break anything in user's platform, people installing gnome2
will know what they do ! If they don't want to get gnome2, they won't
get gnome2.
Next, the choice will be for maintainers to prefer continue to maintain
gnome1.4 packages, or switching to gnome2, or maintain boths packages.

I do not see any real problem that would need to continue leaving gnome2
lost in experimental. Why not having both versions in unstable ?

Julien