Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

<quote who="Colin Walters">

> But it's not entirely backwards compatible.  For example, under GNOME 1.4
> I had a nice dropdown panel menu with a list of hosts I have accounts on;
> each menu entry lauched a script which eventually called gnome-terminal
> --foreground=somecolor --background=someothercolor, depending on which
> host and whether or not I was root.
>
> The GNOME 2 terminal doesn't support these options, so my script broke.
> Probably this is my problem (I will rewrite the script to use the new
> profiles), but it is an example of an incompatibility that can be
> introduced.

Heh, didn't even know about those. You can use profiles now, btw. :-) The
most significant issue, however, is that it's completely unrelated to any of
the G1D settings.

> The issue isn't too important to me now, since I switched over to GNOME 2,
> but I don't think we should replace any more GNOME 1.4 packages in
> unstable without a plan.

Any existing G2D components that have gone into unstable should be replaced
with their G1D versions. It was a mistake, and it should be fixed.

- Jeff

--
   "I think it will be admitted by all that to have exploited so great a
     scientific invention for the purpose and pursuit of entertainment