Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

[ yay, finally back from debconf2 and fully-reconnected to my email... ]

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 16:17, Christian Marillat wrote:

> Because gnome-terminal 2 is better than the 1.4 version [...]

But it's not entirely backwards compatible.  For example, under GNOME
1.4 I had a nice dropdown panel menu with a list of hosts I have
accounts on; each menu entry lauched a script which eventually called
gnome-terminal --foreground=somecolor --background=someothercolor,
depending on which host and whether or not I was root.

The GNOME 2 terminal doesn't support these options, so my script broke.
Probably this is my problem (I will rewrite the script to use the new
profiles), but it is an example of an incompatibility that can be
introduced.

The issue isn't too important to me now, since I switched over to GNOME
2, but I don't think we should replace any more GNOME 1.4 packages in
unstable without a plan.