Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 02:31:36AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Steve M. Robbins">
>
> > Personally, I'm not convinced that Gnome2 should ever supplant Gnome1.
>
> ?!

Let me moderate my statement.  I'm not convinced that Debian should
ever force the users to switch from Gnome1 to Gnome2.

> > Switching from G1 to G2 is, by all accounts, a disruptive one.
>
> Right now, yes.
>
> > Moreover, it may require more hardware.
>
> Have you read the release notes, or otherwise researched this? GNOME 2, by
> and large requires LESS powerful hardware.

OK.  I more or less based that remark on skimming a different thread
about window moving and resizing being opaque rather than
rubber-banding.  I may well have misinterpreted the discussion, so I
withdraw this comment.

> > Thus, I can imagine that some administrators would prefer that their Gnome
> > systems NOT get automatically upgraded.
>
> Right now, yes. But for woody+1? Almost certainly not. They'd prefer the
> system to suck up the new stuff that everyone else is using.

I don't know that that is true.

First of all, I don't know that the transition will *ever* be smooth
from G1->G2.  I appreciate that folks are hard at work on this.  For
the moment however, the promise of a smooth transition is vapourous.
It seems foolhardy to base a strategy on the premise that "things will
just work out".

Second, I'm thinking less of "woody+1" than of "woody+0.1".  I suspect
that if woody were ever to get released, a "point release" would
follow fairly quickly to catch up on new versions of things.  It may
happen that this point release comes before the G1->G2 transition is
smoothed out, so it would be nice to have the same G1 packages
available.  Right now, gnome-terminal 1.4 has vanished from SID.
It needs to be restored if a new debian revision should be required
for whatever reason.

Finally, if the transition does become truly smooth, then Debian can
provide a "gnome2 task" (or dummy package, or similar mechanism) to do
the upgrade.

> > In short, I am arguing that Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 should both remain in
> > Debian indefinitely.
>
> That'd be really useful if G1 was going to be maintained and supported
> indefinitely, but because no one wants to do-- oh wait, do you want to do
> it? :-)

I'm not going to do any development, no.

However, I *am* willing to take over debian G1 packages if maintainers
have moved on to the G2 version.  I would like, for example, put back
the G1 versions of "gnome-terminal" and "sawfish-gnome".

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:30:30AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:06:17PM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > In short, I am arguing that Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 should both remain in
> > Debian indefinitely.
>
> Yes, Debian definitely needs to indefinitely support obsolete bloated crap
> which everyone else would be rid of as soon as possible.

I'm not moved by bloat arguments.  One person's "bloat" is another
person's "choice".

Cheers,
-Steve