Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 08:49:06PM +0200, Julien Portalier wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:35:09 -0400
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 01:34:04PM +0200, Jochen Voss wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I just want to recommend reading Aaron Lehmann's post
> > > "O: rep-xmms" on the debian-devel list.  There, someone
> > > seems to be really annoyed by our GNOME-2 transition
> > > process.
> >
> > This raises the question: is a transition necessary?
> >
> > I think not.  I'd rather have both GNOME1 and GNOME2 available from
> > the debian archive.  Doing so puts the choice of environment in the
> > hands of individual system administrators, which IMHO is where it
> > ought to be.
> >
> > It is true that a given package in debian usually follows upstream
> > through new versions.  But there are exceptions: apache, emacs, gcc,
> > and even automake all have multiple variants in the archive.  I guess
> > the reason for supporting multiple variants is slightly different in
> > each case.  I guess the common theme is that forcing a single version
> > into the archive would cause pain either to the archive itself
> > (automake) or to a large number of users.  I suggest that the GNOME
> > 1->2 transition falls in the latter category.
> >
> > It would be no trick to support this with GNOME.  At a basic level,
> > all that is needed is for the program packages to have two versions,
> > e.g. "gnome-terminal" and "gnome-terminal2".  Libraries already do
> > this, by policy.
> >
> > Whaddya say?
>
> I agree with all you say. For the moment debian should have both
> versions in unstable, and give admins the choice between which one they
> want to have installed on their systems. Next, the transitions will be
> done when gnome1.4 will no longer be updated by developpers. On this day
> gnome2 will take the place of gnome1.4

Personally, I'm not convinced that Gnome2 should ever supplant Gnome1.

Switching from G1 to G2 is, by all accounts, a disruptive one.
Moreover, it may require more hardware.  Thus, I can imagine that some
administrators would prefer that their Gnome systems NOT get
automatically upgraded.

In short, I am arguing that Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 should both remain in
Debian indefinitely.

-S